Astro-Physics introduced the redesigned Stowaway at the Northeast Astro-Imaging Conference on April 18, 2018. Long-time astronomers will recall that we offered f5 and f7 Stowaway refractors from 1999-2002 that are cherished today for their portability and performance. Indeed, our own Stowaway has traveled with us to star-gaze in far off places as well as to watch whales, boats, birds and other wildlife. While observing the solar eclipse in August 2017 from Wyoming, we had so much fun with our original 92 mm Stowaways that we decided to make another production run, which was shipped in 2018-early 2019. The initial response was so positive that that we decided to produce another run of these scopes in 2019.
This triplet lens scope has the same extraordinary quality that you have come to expect from Astro-Physics with a few new exciting features:
- Grab ‘n go visual travel companion. Follow eclipses around the globe or observe wildlife from afar!
- Dramatic deep-sky imaging with its optional Field Flattener (92FF) and Telecompressor Corrector (92TCC).
- Silky, smooth 2.5” Starlight Instruments Feather Touch focuser with dual-speed mechanism. The dual-speed feature is particularly advantageous for critically focusing this fast focal ratio. A digital focusing system is available for imaging.
- Rotating focuser enables you to frame your photos for optimal, artistic composition.
- Compact, lightweight tube assembly travels easily in its Pelican Air case.
- Fully retractable, felt-lined dew shield slides to its fully-extended position and then secures in place.
- Latest multi-coating technology will provide optimum light transmission.
The Mach2GTO or Mach1GTO (no longer available) German Equatorial mounts are recommended for visual observation or astro-imaging. The unique quick-and-easy daytime polar-alignment routine makes it ideal when setting up for star parties and public outreach. The intuitive GoTo Keypad serves as a full-featured mini-computer or use a planetarium program on your PC or Mac computer. You can even control the basic functions of the mount with your mobile smart device.
Roland Christen's air-spaced 3-element lens has broad band multi-coatings on all surfaces. Optimization was chosen for the polychromatic Strehl ratio to be above 90% for the entire visual spectrum with a peak value of 99.8% at the visual peak. The result is unprecedented color correction. Visually the scope shows sharp contrasty images without color fringing with well-corrected high-power oculars.
The custom optional field flattener design (92FF) achieves wide band color correction that extends into the violet regions with diffraction-limited performance designed for the most demanding modern astronomical cameras. This is especially important for the latest CMOS chips which have their highest sensitivities in the violet part of the spectrum and will show large blue halos with lesser optical designs. The 92 mm with dedicated field flattener produces sharp images at all wavelengths without blue halos or bloated stars.
|Color correction||Less than +/- 0.003% focus variation from 656 nm to 436 nm (c to g wavelengths).|
|Clear aperture||92 mm (3.62”)|
|Focal length||612 mm (24.1”); Backfocus of 160 mm (6.3”)|
|Theoretical Resolution||1.1 arc seconds|
|Coatings||Multi-layer, broadband, overall transmission greater than 97% in peak visual wavelengths|
|Magnification range||18x to 360x|
|Tube assembly||Cream white, 3.62” diameter, machined aluminum tube, fully baffled, flat black interior, engraved retaining ring.|
|Focuser type||2.5” I.D. Starlight Instruments FeatherTouch Focuser with rotating collar, rack and pinion, Feather Touch Micro 9:1 dual-speed reduction, 3.5” travel. Focuser drawtube features millimeter focusing scale. 2” and 1.25” adapters included.|
|Telescope length||19.5” (495 mm) with dew shield fully retracted; 21.75” (553 mm) with dew shield fully extended.|
|Diameter of dew shield||4.4” (112 mm) OD, retractable|
|Weight with dust cap||7.1 lb. (3.2 kg)|
|Carrying case||Pelican Air 1525 with TrekPak Dividers|
Specifications subject to change without notice.
|Photographic field with dedicated Field Flattener||
Unvignetted image circle: 50 mm diameter
|Photographic field with 0.8x Telecompressor Corrector||Unvignetted image circle: 40 mm diameter
35 mm format: 4.2 x 2.9 degrees
Focal ratio: f/5.3
Focal length: 488 mm
Backfocus Spacing: 2.52" (64.1 mm)
|Photographic field with 2x Barlow||
Image circle: 32 mm diameter, 1.2 degrees
- Tube Assembly with Starlight Instruments' 2.5" FeatherTouch Focuser, Dew Shield and Dustcover
- 2" and 1.25" Adapters
- Mounting Rings and V-Style Dovetail Bar
- Pelican Air 1525 Carrying Case with TrekPak Dividers
Items That You Will Need For Your Scope
- MaxBright 2" Mirror Diagonal (PMDMAX)
Accessories to Consider
- 2.5" Prime Focus Field Flattener (92FF)
- 0.8x Telecompressor Corrector (92TCC)
- Canon EOS Camera Adapter with Large 1.875" Diameter Stainless Steel Bayonet - For 92FF and 92TCC (DSLR25EOS)
- Nikon Camera Adapter with Large 1.73" Diameter Stainless Steel Bayonet - For 92FF and 92TCC (DSLR25NIK)
- Focuser Boss II Electronic Focusing Control Kit
- 10 x 60 Baader Planetarium Vario-Finder with Illuminated Reticle, 45° Erecting Prism, and Quick Release Bracket (1060VQ)
- 10 x 60 Vario-Finder with Quick Release Guider Bracket Kit (1060VGKIT)
- Base for Quick Release Finder Bracket (QRBASEM)
- 2" Advanced Convertible Barlow (BARADV)
- Flat Field Converter (BPFFC) Barlow and Related Accessories in the FFC System
- Baader Mark V Binocular Viewer (BPMARKVS)
- Baader Cool-Ceramic Safety Herschel Prism (BPHERP)
- Baader AstroSolar Filters (ASTF-80 or ASSF-100)
- Kendrick Dew Remover Premier Heater (KDR004)
- Kendrick Solar Filter for Stowaway with Baader AstroSolar, Density 5-Visual (KS6004-B)
- 7" Sliding Bar (SB0800) - limited quantity available while they last. For use with DOVE08 Saddle Plate (no longer available).
Unfortunately, the 92mm Stowaway is not available off the shelf for immediate purchase. Over the years, we have maintained a notification list so that we can notify prospective customers when the scope is available to order. We will continue to utilize this list for future production. However, we are not accepting new names at this time.
April 25, 2019 update: Today, we started the notification process for the second production run that is well underway. We will contact people according to the date in our records that he/she asked to be placed on the notification list. Typically, we send an email to the address provided and also snail mail. We will be contacting in groups and expect the process to extend over the next month or two since we allow two weeks for responses. If you are on the list, watch your email and mailbox carefully. We hope that you are one of the lucky ones!